28.12.13

UV layout

When it came to the part of UV mapping I did the simple shapes like the eye easily in maya; the inside of the mouth was more difficult, but also managed to do it.
It was when I did some attempts of unwrapping the face where I realised that I needed help form a different software.
In the multiple tutorials I looked at, some people mentioned UVLayout as a good tool for unwrapping, so I decided to give it a go. Just like in Zbrush, the interface was pretty unique but luckily for me, a simple 10 min tutorials gave me the basics to start exploring on my own.
Once you get the hang of how to select edges, create seams and flat the UV projections everything else becomes quite intuitive.
One of the main features I really liked about it, is that it not only give you an indication with pattern textures of where the stretching or squashing is happening, but it also gives you an indication colour based where green is good, red is overly stretched and blue is squashed. This becomes really handy for when you want to fix thing manually as you can tell where to move the UVs and if your movement has affected another texture face.
Probably with a bit more of practice I can manage to get the hang of it more efficiently, but for this matter I'm quite happy with the results and highly recommend people to use it :)








No comments:

Post a Comment