24.2.14

User Interface (UI) experience - out of the comfort zone

Since I joined Nellyvision as a game artist, I was put to work on two small side projects; one was the remake of the game we made for last's year Game Hack called Envy and another school pixel project. I was pretty happy coming out with concepts for it, but then they asked me to help them with a more urgent project they had in hand. Part of the Football ManagerZone website wanted to have the game on an mobile app. When I joined they already had some work done, but pretty much it required a completely make over as the icons looked outdated. I thought I was just going to be working on it temporally, yet I ended up staying with it. 
I must confess, I hate football... sports is not my thing and football is one of the worst ones, I know nothing! 
Either way, I had to do it. User Interface is something I've always wanted to try; it involves a lot of graphic design knowledge as they entire project has to look unified. Fonts are something we couldnt get involved with it as the app will have multiple language translations so we were quite restricted in that sense, which at the end it worked better for my benefit. 
Getting me out of my comfort zone has been more positive than what I expected, as I've learn to work with topics that I'm not familiar/interested with. Had to do some research to understand what I'm doing and get involved with sport trends for colours and shapes.  The app is still in process but I'll put some screenshots from the testing app we share within the company. 
One of the biggest challenges is learning to work in a non destructive way in photoshop, keep everything properly named and organized. Working along with programmers involves a matter of them testing and telling you 'reduce the size of ___button by 2 pixels high' for example, so you have to be ready with all the files and make quick changes without affecting the over all look. So far I've done over 100 icons and buttons and more to come. Certainly is something you have to do quick.
Certainly been a challenge and has put me on interest to keep updating designing trends. (definitely still don't like football...) 








No comments:

Post a Comment