27.2.14

Treasure Adventure World


This is one of the first games that I came across when I was looking for indie games made on the same engine and that shared similar characteristics to what I want to make. Treasure Adventure World (TAW) is a remake of Treasure Adventure Game (TAG) by Robit Studios, a team that is for by 3 guys based in NewYork. This remake carries on with an open-world side-scrolling platform adventure game (Metroidvania) which has as the aim to sail the world, search for ancient artefacts and fight an evil demon. It also has sail-boat upgrades and enhancing gear mechanics.
The looks of the game went from a pixel version to a pretty and clean line that looks full of live and hand-drawn.

I've tried the demo and you can spot the parts that they need to work on, yet it looks like a decent project for the size and time the group have spend on it.
Some of the features that they implemented on the remake that I found quite interesting was making the main character a silent one. This character looks gender-less and I think it helps the player to make his/her own interpretation, helping to the immersion of the story. I thought about taking that route, but at the end I opted for making the main character a girl and push the narrative.

Left- Main Character (TAW)  Right- Evolution of graphics from TAG to TAW


In relation to what I want to do, it has been a role model in some aspects, specifically when it comes to the interaction with the NPC. The conversations presented react in different ways depending on whether you've done a certain task or not. It also has some hidden objects or text that slightly complement the story.
At this point I've been struggling to make that NPC interaction to work, and even thought it's not essential for the submission, I'd love to get some narrative into it, specially because it will only have a very simple game play.






No comments:

Post a Comment