25.4.14

Dialogue script

I knew from the beginning that I didn't have the time to achieve some kind of combat inside the level and keep the metroidvania/rpg/exploration at the same time. Keeping my usual tendency for going for flightless games, I opted to make it more narrative driver, or at least this level. If the game was to go further, I would love to add a combat mechanic, magic spells and power upgrades, but mainly because of the time it takes to make animation sprites, this level will be a small narrative quest.
When I was creating the main NPC and the main character I was picturing their voices and the kind of personalities they would have. They all have very unique characteristic and just like the main character, they have they're own unique qualities and defects. 
It's going to be hard tour triad them on a single sprite and on just one level; they're animation will be very basic due to time constrains so reflecting their personalities on a berthing idle-2/3 frame sprite is nearly impossible.
So, knowing that the dialogue would represent a crucial part to portraid a bit of the personalities, I didn't wanted the NPCs to be saying the same frase all the time so I decided to make a little script to have them saying a different conversation depending on where they are in the level. 
Because I couldn't get the text speed control via pressing a button, it will all have to be timed, so whe the player speaks to a character a bit of a mini event will take place and the conversation between Keara and the NPC will start.
I made my script in excel, as I thought I could organise them in cells per speech bubble and depending on the length I could time it more accurately and quickly.
Now I've never done any dialogue script, so I must admit I felt a bit silly by picturing different voices in my head and try to type it down. Hoping to avoid overly cliche frames and awful misspellings, I asked my friend Sarah for some assistance. She has her own manga project so I assumed she would be familiar with script making.
So far her corrections have been pretty helpful, but I can't add the text until I'm happy with the overall mechanics, otherwise testing will take up a lot more time.



No comments:

Post a Comment