1.4.14

Evolution of engines

So far, the graphics in games is evolving at an alarming rate. Alarming for me as I feel that as soon as I'm making any progress on my artwork, the industry standards already moved on far beyond. The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that usually what we see in games or demonstrations is the hard work of a team that has had the time and budget to do so.
Every time a new engine comes out or even a new version, I'm always impressed to see the new advances or possibilities. It certainly makes me want to try them out and make something as beautiful as what they do. It was only recently that I saw the new Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5 Demos and I had to constantly remind myself that it is a group of professionals putting that together, otherwise I would lose my...cool.
The video below is UDK 4. UDK is not an engine that I've tried much; the only work I've done is export a mesh, textures, put lighting and get a turn table working. This is nothing compared to what apparently you can do now. I bet it requires more coding than what they make it look like, but certainly the fluids look absolutely amazing.


In the case of Unity 5 (below), I believe is catching up quickly with the other engines. The time where I tried Unity, I must admit, I wasn't very adventurous. I stuck to the basics at the time, and I remember having issues with importing animations and double sided textures with alphas. Not to blame the engine though, but it certainly looks like real time rendering quality has gone quite high.





No comments:

Post a Comment