30.1.14

Extended Practice proposal

So since before we broke for christmas break we were given the briefed for the Extended Practice module which works out as a final mayor project. Straight away I knew what I wanted and need to do, mainly because I want to take part on the GameRepublic Student show case 2014. Hearing some of the judges last year I noticed that what they want to see more is playable games, not just artwork, characters or empty environments. This straight away made it quite difficult as I know near to nothing about programming, but before giving up I went and did a bit of research. It turns out that there are plenty of softwares out there that help you make a game without the need of learning complicated coding languages such as RPG Maker, Scirra's Construct 2, Stencyl, Game Maker and UniRPG, among many many others. 
Most of them where made for 2D games that require sprite sheets. I really wanted to try something simple in 3D as 2D sprite sheets is pretty much what I do at work, but there aren't many engines on 3D that are easy to learn. 
Being realistic, I'll stick to 2D if I want to achieve my goal, and seeing that I got the liberty of choosing any style, I might up to use pixel art. Hopefully staying away from 3D environment won't make me rusty in a way, I'll probably be looking out for other small 3D competitions to keep up to date. 

After submiting my proposal I got some feedback on the stuff I need to work on:
- Cement the detail beyond just making a game
-Identify what will I produce at the end of this project (a polished portion of the game is better rather than an unfinished complete game.) 

So far I've been quickly playing some indie games of the like and I've come down to very initial concepts which I'll be discussing later :) 
Time to plan and start working! 

No comments:

Post a Comment