8.1.14

Xnormal

For the operation of baking the normals and other details once the whole model was done, I opted for using an external software instead of using Maya.
A quite popular option is the software called Xnormal which has a very 'technical' interface as there is no interaction with any kind of graphic or model.
The process consist in uploading a high poly mesh in one slot, a low resolution one in another sloth, calculate the min and max distance and select the kind of maps that you want to be processed.
In this case I wanted a normal, an occlusion and a convexity map.
These are the results I got. Notice that I'm considering the head as one object, along with the eyes, hair and inside mouth, and the body with the belts as another.
I highlighted some of the issues that I encounter because I've had small cavities or close objects. Probably this would have been less problematic if I had gone and done each individual item separately, but that would have been time consuming. A lot of problems with the normals on the fingers and some overlapping faces like the gloves and the front of the trousers. Also the part of the lips where they get close to eachother cause a lot of issues in all maps. Over all, they could have been better, but for the speed of the baking process I think I'll target this issues on photoshop this time, but for future projects I'll do my best to avoid them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment