7.1.14

Retopology: Zbrush vs Topogun

After finishing sculpting the head I decided to jump straight to retopologising it and come back to finish the rest of the body later; mainly to try the entire process first and have a preview of the end result of the project.
I tried the retopologising tools in zbrush that involve modifying a zsphere vertex by vertex. The process was easy to grasp on, and the accuracy for the vertex to attach to the high resolution model was very good, although not being so familiar with the zbrush interface when it come to rotate or even pressing a key by mistake made this process a bit slow. 
When I finish the face I notice that my topology wasn't ideal. Not that I had big plans for facial animation, but if I wanted to imitate a next gen console character I had to stick with good topology. This are some screen shots from the process in Zbrush. 











I'm the many tutorial that I watch, at least half of them use a program called Topogun which like the name suggest only focuses on retopologising. I went through a small tutorial just to show me the basics and luckily it was a very easy software. 
Even thought I had symmetry activated I noticed that it didn't work %100 as it should; there were minor mistakes it would make that would later on pile up if I didn't address them straight away. This process became somehow unpractical, so I decided to only do one side and later on mirror it in Maya. Certainly the fact that you can jump back and forth between reference meshes is quite handy specially when you have a very dense mesh. Probably this tool is more powerful and I'm not exploding it to the max, but I'll make some time in the future to get some extra tutorials and get the best out of it.
This are screen shots in topogun, quite an easy interface and makes what can be a boring process into a smooth and relaxing one.





1 comment: