9.1.12

- practice -

Now I know this might be irrelevant to the course, but it's most of the practice I did on during this holidays.
Instead of doing some proper post or thinking of something that will actually help me to get a good grade (any grade at all ...) I've been working on a book cover.
Now I've done this in the past and the only reason why I'm doing it again is because I quite like the experience and practice that you get out of it (plus is nice to put something in your CV that is actually true).
Rather than the pay and the fame that I might or might not make out of this, I decided to keep working with this author because now we became friends and I feel like I own him for giving me the chance in the first place.

Anyway. The book is now very (VERY) dramatic, since it tells the true story of the author when he went through really hard times while having a kidney disease, so in comparison to the last book, which was a teenage  novel, this one required a lot more of seriousness. His idea was to go for something more realistic, but being honest with him... I'm terrible at drawing realism, or at least is not something I'm familiar with specially when it comes to creating something out of nowhere. (with realism I feel more comfortable if I have a model to copy, but I wont bother for that).

The author was fine to do it in the way I felt it was right, and for some reason he keeps thinking that I'm a professional and that I got everything under control... so I keep making him to believe that.


This is a screenshot of the progress so far. I did loads and loads of sketches and none of them reflected that semi realistic and relief feeling I was looking for, but as one of my friends pointed out, my best option was to  keep his eyes close. That did helped me to keep it slightly more realistic. 

Anyway, I still like to play with colours even though it completely kills the realism and also working with loads of different brushes makes the skin look sketchy, but truth is I'm still working on it so any suggestions and critics would be really appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment