19.5.13

Clash of Clans - review


It was probably around 6 months ago that I started playing Clash on Clans on both my iphone and ipad. At first it was just because of influence of friends who had it that I downloaded it and also because the clay-like models of the barbarians of the cover looked really cool. 
Supercell is the game company responsible for this strategy game for iOS that is recently been on of the top grossing apps in over 122 countries. 
When I first started I found it quite addictive  but since it's a game in which you either wait for things to be build or you invest real money to get things done quicker, I opted for the hard mode way: patience. 
I slowly started to make my way around building my base with as much defence as possible at the same time as gathering resources and raiding other players. 
It was good fun comparing villages with other friends and joining forces in Clans with people all over the world. It took me a couple of months to start losing a bit of interest on it, and it was mainly because things where taking a couple of day to build and every time I logged in my village has been raided by  some high level player, leaving me completely destroyed (and with a 16 hour protection shield, meaning that no one can attack you but you can't attack). I kept saying that I was going to quit the game but I think I was already to immerse in the game to just leave it like that. Still up to date that I wait for even 5 day to get constructions completed but still checking it at least once a day. 

The game itself it's not bad, the problem is when you confront with top players while I consider myself just a casual one. While doing my research about this game I came across a very interesting topic about whale player who spend fortunes on this kind of free-to-play games by buying upgrades and shortcuts. The online magazine Wired wrote an interesting article about this topic and in relation to this game that is worth looking at if you thing you that spending £1.99 is nearly a sin.

The strategy that involve in the game is minimum when you actually think about it and the advertised multiplayer mode is nothing but attacking a computer while the other player is offline (you can't attack other villages while the player is online).

I must admit that I have been tempted to spend money on this and other apps just to make up for my time, but then again I can't help but having this feeling of cheating by doing so, and it also kind of misses the point from my perspective.
If you're looking for an incredibly addictive game, please try Clash of Clans but don't you dare to attack my village.

4 comments:

  1. Clash of clans will be the most popular game i think, and thanks for this review ! But i can argue with you because there is a realy working Clash Of Clans Hack but i can't find the real one . Thank you for this great article!

    ReplyDelete