10.5.14

Sprite Animation

I've done some work before related to animation in games, yet it always amazes me how hard it is to get it to look right, specially when there are several quick actions the player must make. In this case I'm lucky that the level doesn't feature any complicated mechanics as this keeps the animations to the minimal, giving me more time to work on them and get some fluid movement.
At this point in time I'm already behind, therefore I don't have the luxury of animating every single aspect of the game, yet Kamea is obviously the character that will have most of my attention.
Ryan agreed from the beginning to help me out by comming out with some rough animations which I could the draw over and fit the sprite. This is the walking cycle he came up with:


Knowing tthe amount of work he's got with his own project, I didn't feel like asking him for any corrections or any othe cycles, therefore I opted to adventure myself on the animation process.
No matter how much I looked for video reference I couldn't find something that I felt right so I had to make my own reference (which will never see the daylight ever). 
The idle idea didn't require reference at all as it was just a simple breathing movement, eye blinking, ear moving and perhaps a bit of exaggeration on the movement of the hair, mainly to accentuate the idle animation.


The runnin was a challenge as it was a 10 frame animation with all different frames. The character is not fully on side view as I keep this cartoony feeling of 'always looking at the camera' and that made the refencing a bit difficult. I managed with the front arm to give a bit of depth feeling, but I failed to do the same with the hair. I was quite pleased with the outcome for this running cycle as I tend to always get it weird looking, specially when it's a run that loops endlessly.


For the jump and fall I thought about making a proper animation that included a bit of anticipation, but no matter how I wanted it to fit it in, it will always look weird as the fluidity of the character in play doesn't include that small pause needed. At the end I decided to stick with only two frames for the jump (because of the determined hight that she can jump) and 3 for the fall (in case the player falls from a higher place).
Hopefully I'll have enough time to fit in a climbing animation, other wise I'll have to re adapt the level with some platforms instead of climbing ropes. 
As for the rest of the NPCs I'll only stick with a very very VERY basic idle, just to make them stick out as interactive characters, but if I have more time to before the Game Republics student showreel then I'll probably add some extra frames.

No comments:

Post a Comment