10.5.14

Idle sprites - from concept to pixel art

Although I know that having made fully rendered graphics for the entire game (ie choosing a resolution and drawing it all) would have been slightly more within my comfort zone, I was determined to for once, make an entire project on pixel art. After comming along with some of the main characters' concept art  that mainly where made as promotional art I started making the conversion into in-game graphics.
I knew I was going to make big sprites and stay away from 8 or 16 bit graphics as I wanted to portraid a nice amount of detail. 
The first character I wanted was obviously the main character Kamea, which pretty much has been used as a reference for the rest of the level. Because she's meant to be quite short, all the other characters would normally feel quite tall, therefore I had to think of a way for the sprites to look approachable (with some exceptions). 
From the concept art, Kamea kept quite a lot of features. Same happen with the nymphs Alba And Kera, but in the case of Teles and Azmer it was a total remake from the original concept image, mainly to fit the scene.



I've already talked about the animation for Kamea. She was clearly the most challenging one due to having motion. The rest of the characters only have an idle animation. I was literally make a breathing 2 frame animation, but challenged myself to a bit of extra motion, and managed to get something a bit more exciting in 6 frames for each character:

Alba and Kera

Azmer




 Edric



 Teles


Must admit that pixel art animation is not easy, but I enjoyed animating Teles and the nymphs the most. 
I want to try more flames and liquids next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment