22.5.14

CV creation

I started doing my CV way before I came to the UK, while I was finding a part time job and to apply to come as an international student. Not like there's much difference to make one now other than the pressure of getting the dream job.
The difference now is the experience that I've accumulated over the past few years. 
The biggest challenge comes, along with cover letters, when I've been in the case of applying for different positions; due to my 'broad' skills I find myself often interested in different positions that require different sets of skills. 
Say I apply for a 3D modeller position, I have to modify and emphasise on softwares like Maya and Zbrush as well as mention my experience on the cover letter and portfolio work. 
In the case if 2D game artist photoshop, illustrator and drawing skills go to the front. 
It does become at some point a bit tactic, and the more you know about the company, their workflow and what they're looking for, the easier it will become applying for the position.
Something that I've notice is that timing is everything, so sometimes you just can't guess when it's the best to apply. No all companies like getting applications through agencies, not all companies want a standard CV but then again it all comes down to how 'serious' or rigid the structure of the company is. The bigger the company, the more stages or thresholds you have to pass.

This is one of my latest CVs. Not perfect, but it has been doing the job. Thinking of making a more creative version, but judging at the reactions so far, I think it's always best to focus on portfolio.


No comments:

Post a Comment