21.5.12

The concept of Architecture

Architecture still is a very strong aspect when it comes to ideas and concepts that I've been generating along the year, and even though I never finished that degree, I still cherish the knowledge that I acquired during those 4 years. Specially now, regardless of the aspect of my future focus, I've started to understand the multiple uses of a game engine and endless limitations of concept art.




Is obvious that when it comes to making illustrations to base a scenography of a game, film or animation is always relatively easier to just draw a picture or perspective in which the building goes well with the style and it looks amazing in the background. But it certainly needs a lot of thought once an interactions with the environment is required.
For a reason it is a profession; the level of detail, functionality, design and materials have to harmonise in a whole composition. The aspects that probably a game designer don't have worry are the realistic factor and the costs, but even the physics and materials play an important fact.
The functionality takes a big role specially when a building itself is a game level. Places have to be logically functional, zoned and has to make sense with the exterior.

Maybe it's not very used now a days among actual architectural projects, but old style hand-made plans where certainly a piece of art, that if it was part of any media project could certainly be part of the concept art.


A part that has got me really interestes came when a friend from my old degree asked me to do her some renders to use in her final project. At the moment was kind of a joke as she was half way done it, but it did made me realize the potential that a game engine like Unity3D could have for the presentation of projects. Obviously someone has already thought of that... and I was amazed for the results of some companies and it was nice to know the effort that their putting to replicate a more realistic urban environment and an easy way to work with natural aspects.
Check out the video underneath where the company ENODO uses cryENGINE to create a really nice urban landscape:





No comments:

Post a Comment