19.5.12

Social Networks

I have to say... I'm not a very social human being...
Before coming to this country I completely refused to get a Facebook account and only had a MSN one which I rarely used. Networks like Twitter and My space seem to me like networks full of gossip and random stuff that would only help me lose my time.

After coming here, I had no option rather than get used to use Facebook and Skype to keep in touch with friends and family, but never took it too serious.
Starting this course, I felt oblige to open a twitter account but decided to limit it to only follow people in my field of interests.
After thinking about the industry itself and how to start getting immerse in it, I started using more frequently other media that allowed me to start making connections that eventually turned into a social turning point in my life.
Deviantart, CGHub, Pixiv, Tumblr, Twitter, Linkedin, Flickr and Blogger itself became my daily way to connect with loads of people, some of them in a working way, some others who I share interest, but all of them, in their own way, have keep me informed and awake to what's around me, helping me in this way, to keep going forward.

I realised that being in a Digital media environment requires spaces to share, publish and discuss with people related to it, and also to create links with other disciplines that will allow to expand my future projects.
As part of the rule of thirds to be successful in any industry, the social aspects complements and important part of it, complementing the showcase and professional.
Some of the steps I'm currently taking to improve my social aspects are:

  • Be social
  • Visit other blogs and comment
  • Respond to comments
  • Be generous
  • Subscribe 
  • Share
  • Know what I have posted about myself
  • Assume EVERYTHING is permanent
  • Be a conduit
  • Be original
  • Create a news feed
  • Credit my sources
  • Use keywords (tags and labels)
  • Interview somebody
  • Post frequently
  • Do not copy and paste
  • Stick with it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment