19.3.14

Colour test: pallet

 I finally got some time to start working on the colour side of the sprite. The previous post was a test for size and it was mainly an outline and proportions of the final sprite.
I limited myself to a pallet of about 38 colours. I was originally just use no limitation, but then I thought that might be a challenge when it comes to the colouring of each frame of animation. Plus this way it looks a lot cleaner.
On the image below I have the pallet along with the 100% sprite size, a 500% version and a comparison with the concept art. Since the final artwork will look roughly the same size as the 500% one, I'm pretty happy that with the results (got scared when I saw the 100% result).
Next step before polishing the sprite is to test it on the engine. Hopefully I'll start working on other props or NPC's to try them for the next demo.


Tips for anyone that wants to try to do pixel art on photoshop: turn off any anti-alias and change preferences of interpolation (Edit/preferences/general) from bicubic/bilinear to nearest neighbour. This will help to get the pixel finish without photoshop trying to blend colours in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment