25.3.14

Would have like...

Using Construct 2 is certainly a very rewarding experience, as I never thought I could pull out a game on my own. I feel like I've already learned a whole different set of skills and experienced loads of different new concepts that I'm sure come along when working on bigger teams and projects. I feel like I can work in a better way to make graphics fit the workflow of coders and at the same time respond to what they can ask me for.
Despite all this I can't help to feel that I would have like to go a bit further; if I was working along with more people, I think I would have liked to get a bit more of a 3D feeling but keeping the same type of graphics.
Games that come to mind straight away that have similar approach to what I originally envisioned are games like Fez or the upcoming Child of light.


Fez (above) has way too much of a pixely look than what I'd like to go for; a very cubic Minecraft-like feel to it, yet I like the textures that are slightly more detail and the happy feeling it has all around. The obvious feature I admire the most is the flat feeling you get until you twist the view around and you realise that the entire environment is in 3D and that all the shadows are there for a reason. 


Other games such as Child of light and Okami (above) are games that are in the mayority made on 3D (including the character) yet they manage with the texture to keep a very flat like environment giving the effect of a painted/drawn look. 

 
 

More examples of the work of plane images layered and positioned to give the illusion of depth (which is something that I'll try to achieve) are games like Rayman Legends, Odin's Sphere and Muramasa. All of them , within their unique style, are very beautiful (in my opinion). Despite competing with 'realistic' looking graphics with other games on the same consoles, they manage to stand out, establish their own style and create an incredible level of immersion along with their own story. 
Hopefully I'll manage to portrait something of this magnitude, even if it is just within a small level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment