25.3.14

Dialog construction - script

After I started using Construct 2, I slowly managed to get my head around the type of 'coding' or logic behind it. When I think about it, it's a very logic way to make everything work, and at the same time, there's a lot of room to miss something along the way that won't make things work properly. 
Something that I roughly managed to get working is the dialog, which instead of being scripted so that the player has control of the speed of the text (by pressing 'x or y' button) it will be timed. So when the player enters in contact with the NPC collision and presses a button, the character will stop moving and the timed dialogs will appear as speech bubbles. 
The dialog will be subjected to a global conditional, which I might represent as with a graphic bar as bravery that will be filling up depending on the 'confidence' of the main character Kamea. This will make an emphasis on the insecurities the main character has enhancing the character development. This global conditional will be increasing as she speaks with the right NPCs in the right order, and in the mean time the text will seem varied and less repetitive. 
Another feature will be the idea of Kamea having several thoughts throughout the progress of the game, this again to get the player to understand the character a bit more. 

The dialog creation is something that goes way beyond what I thought I would be doing. Dialog writing surely requires a lot more talent that what I expected. So far I've written most of it, yet I can't help to feel that the dialogs might sound cliché when someone else reads it, not to mention either silly, long or hard to understand. To avoid looking silly in case I make a grammatical mistake, my friend Sarah is willing to help me proof reading it. She has a lot more experience on this as she works as a media consultant and also works on a comic as a personal side project.  
Hopefully I can have the proper text working on the game soon, the only reason why I haven't implemented it is for testing reasons, as I need dialogs to be short and quick so that it doesn't take me long every timeI'm testing any modification I make. 


No comments:

Post a Comment