30.10.11

Reban - Crystal environment

The final stage for our project was to build an environment for our character.
Since I'm basing all my images on the scene where Reban is escaping from the laboratory where he's been captive all his life, I decided to make work on this one for his environment.

To give an idea of living in a steampunk-like world in the 1800's the laboratory has been adapted in an ex-church with a gothic style. The place is in a cliff just outside the capital city.
Inside the place, the whole attention is in a big test tube where all the scientist test and study Reban's crystals to create a new fuel that will help them win the war.

Even thou I come from an architectural background I never got a chance to make a gothic structure, so I was really eager to work on this, but due to some issues with my computer and time wise I couldn't give the essence of it. Also, mixing this architectural style with steampunk is a meaning of working on details. (hell of a lot of details)

This is a colour sketch I made first to get a general idea:

At the end I decided to take off the multiple windows in the main tower and leave just the big one in the back (the one that Reban jumps through). The final design of the stain glass was simple and modular, but if I felt that if I went into more details or even a specific picture for a design it could steal a lot of attention.

From here I tried my best to make a perspective, but since it was hard to decide from where to make it and because I love the way 3-point perspectives add a touch of drama, I ended up making a cut to the building so that the inside and the outside could be visible.
It might have ended up looking weird because of the walkway around the test tube, but it was one of the most difficult parts to make.
Also, it is on black and white because my computer was misbehaving and the work I did at school I lost in my USB. (bad excuse, but true :( )


I know it still lacks of detail (and colour) but I think I aimed to high at the moment, since it took me more than expected to do this, but I got the idea of having the building covered inside out on pipes comming from everywhere and more steam ducts.
One of my inspirations for that was the bath house from Spirited Away like in the picture below



Also I made the plans and elevations of the lab, trying not to go too technical with it but still showing the more important parts of the buildings and its measures:

First the plan.-

The front view.-

A cut viewing from the center of the main room to the main entrance.-

The side.-


And a cut on the side to see the test tube properly.-

I didn't wanted to put aaaalll the measures to avoid making the image to congested. I used autocad to make them, and photoshop to save them in a web-friendly file so some details got lost in the process.
I hope I was able to transmit the whole concept of this building (otherwise the past four years of my life where a mere waist of time lol).
Once again, I feel really sorry for not being able to bring a colour render of my final product...

No comments:

Post a Comment