26.10.11

Thought of you

While thinking and doing some storyboards for my flip book animation, I decided to look at some traditional style animations. Most of the works that I found where part of famous animations and really detailed final works.

Then I came across with this impressive artist called Ryan Woodward. Apparently ever since 1995 he's been doing commercial works for Hollywood mainly, but leaving aside of all the works he has done for Warner bros. or Walt Disney Studios, I'd like to focus on one of his most recent works part of the project Conté Animated which involves concepts of exploration of the human body, 2d animation (the illusion of life), contemporary dance and experimental processes for the better understanding of art.
Putting all this forms together to support a central idea of the complexities of intimate relationships.

What I found interesting is that rather than focusing of creating a narrative that communicates a define story, he decided to explore an individual experience unique and personal that goes straight to their own sensibilities.
Just have a look at the video and you'll see what I'm talking about:

Thought of You from Ryan J Woodward on Vimeo.


Impressive isn't it?
This short was a winner award of merit in Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood Fall 2010, The Indie Fest award winner, 2D or not 2D animation Festival Golden Pencil winner and many other nominations. No wonder... animation should also be applied to some other forms of art like this one does. Expand horizons.

I know that for my tendency at the moment to do things detailed and my 0 experience on animation, I wont be able to achieve anything close to this, BUT I do intend to work a lot more in a fluid way of work and a to improve my observational skills to a higher level.

Have a look at Ryan's Conté Animated website.

No comments:

Post a Comment