6.3.13

Alien - modelling

Having no much time to polish the concept art I had to move to modelling.
 This was the final that I decided to go for:


I wanted to make it as realistic as possible in the time in hand, so I opted to follow tutorials online that would help me to get the topology right from the beginning. It all went well and I managed to get a decent female human shape. After that I started to move back and forth from maya to mudbox and started to deform it to get the extra eyes, the incredibly skinny shape and the strange 'hair' like part of the head. 
When I got to the part of sculpting out details in hight dense meshes on mudbox I noticed quite late that there was a big problem with the inside of the eye cavity and some part in the nails. I panicked as I had no clue how to fix it, and being quite late at night I just opted to rant online. Around 3 am I got a tweet from a guy called Craig Barr that runs the Autodesk Mudbox blog at the-area.com and he offered to have a look at my model. 
I started a conversation with him for a while trying to explain about the project and the model itself. 
I sent him both Maya and Mudbox files and within a day he sent me massive email reply explaining how to fix thing and also giving me tips of how to avoid having this issues from earlier stages of modelling. 
Even thought I lost the layers with the high dense sculpting I was pretty happy to get such a good help from a professional. 




No comments:

Post a Comment