8.3.13

Animating spaceship

Having the deadline upon me and having retarded issues with my health sure managed to get me quite behind on my schedule for the project.
As I mentioned before, the concept of my spaceship is an eye; the idea of a massive eye comming from the sky, looking at everyone and judging sure gets me the creeps, and this idea came from a while ago when I saw some pictures of the Helix Nebula also known as 'the eye of god'. Also my flatmate started watching a series called Fullmetal Alchemist and at some point towards the ending a creature summons god and he is represented as an eye behind a door of giant dimensions.

 

Now for the animation I wanted quick movements that will give a sign of desperation but also the idea of it scanning everything at an extreme speed.
I want sure of the textures when I thought of it; I had a concept of an abstract spaceship that would only resemble an eye, but at the same time hard to understand its purpose. I abandoned every spaceship concept I saw as inspiration as I wanted to make it something organic, so doors, windows and any ship-like feature was straight away ignored.

There is not shape more organic than a circle, so luckily most of the animation took place by rotating over a central pivot point, and by groping certain objects it became really easy to control individual spins and other movements.
Also to cause the effect of a pupil dilating I had to involve some scaling which gave the spaceship a bit of part on the silent narrative behind the shot; you can tell that it's looking around and also when it finds its target.

Hopefully the textures can be rebalanced in after effects to avoid looking so dump. Ill have to play a lot with transparencies and glow effects to achieve a decent effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment