5.12.12

Manga Society - Thought Bubble

So everyone is allowed to have a hobby or guilty pleasure, and mine is to read manga. Despite the fact that I don't do it so often now a days because it can be quite expensive, I quite enjoy going with some friends to the Manga workshop, part of the anime society at Leeds University.
Last year I attended but didn't really do much there, but this year I decided to go for it as there was a more ambitious project of making a comic/manga in a short period of time and get it published to present it at the Thought Bubble event that took place on the Royal Armouri Museum in Clarence Dock, Leeds this last 17th and 18th of November.

Now I didn't have time to really come up with an original concept so I thought I might as well use the our concept and develop it in a different way. Many films are based on comics now a days, and seeing that our storyboards weren't very polished I went in with it and made a 4 comic.
The time for it was pretty short, and on top of that I had the rest of the stuff to model, so it was probably not very smart of me to get into this kind of commitment, but it was a nice experience to see it published (and we actually sold all the copies).



 So the quality is not up to professional standards, but it was a lot of fun to make it and I also realized how hard it is to plan panels and the flow on between pages. Also another good part of this is that I got my hands on a software called Manga Studio, which helped me to make the panels and the screen toning. This is clearly not the full potential of the software, but I have to say if I didn't master it because of the speed on which I had to work at the end, at least I understood a great part of it. It might not be a very useful tool for the course, and I probably shouldn't have been spending my time doing this, but that's why it's called guilty pleasure I suppose...  please don't judge me

No comments:

Post a Comment