6.12.12

Skeleton of Albus

Rigging was not such a bit task as the robot had a simple structure, but the problem began when I had to bind it to the geometry.
I was told to try a rigid binding as it could work best for robot like movements, but no matter how much I tried I just couldn't get my head around it.
I ended up going for a soft binding and it turned out to be just fine, as I just had to do be very specific with the weight painting to avoid having organic movements.
Probably the part that made it a bit difficult was the fact that the character was not model in a T pose so the influence between the joint in the arm and right leg was creating a bit of confusion, but the character doesn't have a full arm extended so not putting him on a T pose from the beginning was part of the plan.


After weight painting, the joints were working smoothly but I discovered that there were some issues when the elbow would bend above one point. By the time I realised this issue the project was ready to start animation and going back to fix this small issue was probably going to delay the whole process. We opted to just make a note next to the model to let them know where to be careful in case someone else was to work with it in the animation process. Luckily, the movements of Albus did not require to bend his elbow to that extend.



No comments:

Post a Comment